As we age, our ability,to regenerate new skin cells and collagen diminishes. Years of trauma to our skin leaves a lasting mark. Contributing to aging factors such as scarring, pigmentation, fine lines, and overall increase pore size and texture. There are a wide array of effective methods to treat and rejuvenate your skin, ranging from laser treatments and new technologies such as microneedling. Microneedling is a method of introducing a controlled wound into the skin triggering a release of natural growth factors, new collagen and elastin. This process causes less damage to the epidermis than dermal rolling and other ablative treatments. Miconeedling stimulates the new skin cell growth and, providing quicker healing leading to long lasting skin rejuvenation.
What is Automated MicroNeedling ?
Automated Microneedling is a new innovation in aesthetic medicine for the treatment of fine lines, acne scaring and overall improvement of skin appearance. During this procedure, tiny needles are used to create controlled micro-injuries to the skin in order to produce collagen and elastin. A topical serum is also applied to clean skin (in most cases your practitioner will use a hyaluronic acid) this soothing product is chosen to help the safety microneedle cartridge glide smoothly across the skin’s surface while delivering the mechanical injury necessary to bring about the necessary change, and simultaneously delivering Hyaluronic Acid (HA) – the building blocks for healthy new skin – deep into the skin. The skin’s repair process results in a thicker dermis with the appearance of softer wrinkles. Automated microneedling also creates superficial micro-channels which allow topical serums, and creams to be absorbed more effectively into the skin.
Microneedling rollers are the previous generation of needling devices. One of the many drawbacks is that dermal rollers have a fixed needle or penetration depth (i.e. 0.5mm) which is not very conducive when treating an area like the face which requires different depths due to the thickness of skin tissue, which varies in depth tremendously depending on the area being treated. Therefore, having a fixed needle depth or penetration level is a huge drawback when trying to customize a treatment for consistency. Microneedling has an adjustable needle depth that allows your skincare provider to vary the depth of penetration throughout the entire treatment. This will allow Dr. Elyse S. Rafal, to properly address the specific needs of thinner skin on your lower eyelids, crow’s feet, and forehead. Additionally where the tissue is thicker in other areas like the upper lip, cheeks (due to fat pads), neck, and décolletage, the necessary adjustments can easily be treated with 1 needle tip instead of 5 or 6 needle rollers.
What will happen during your microneedling treatment?
When you arrive your skin will be cleansed and a topic anesthetic will be applied 30 minutes prior to your treatment. Your anesthetic will then be removed and your skin will be cleansed again to make sure there is nothing on your skin prior to treatment. Your cosmetic nurse will apply a thin layer of topical Hyaluronic serum to your skin and select the appropriate treatment depth based on your unique needs. Next, in a single motion, we will be gently glided across the skin in one direction until the entire treatment area has been covered. This results in thousands of microscopic channels throughout the entire treatment area. The repair process, Collagen Induction Therapy, begins almost immediately. Fibroblasts – the cells that synthesize new collagen – are active for up to as much as one year after just one treatment. Depending on your specific needs additional serums may be added. Doctor Elyse S. Rafal, will select the appropriate needle depth and number of passes required to properly treat your concerns based upon your individal skin health and skin regimen. many patients may need a series of treatments to achieve their desired goals. This will be determined upon a through complimentary consultation with Dr.Elyse S. Rafal.
The results of treatment are both immediate and progressive. Many individuals will begin to see the effectiveness of the treatment after their first visit, however a series of 3-6 treatments may be recommended depending on severity of their skin condition. Microneedling treatments are a safe and effective method to activate cellular regeneration while addressing an array of skin conditions including:
- Fine Lines
- Scar Revision (Acne, Body)
- Stretch Marks
- Fine lines
- Tone and Texture
Top microneedling FAQ’s
How many treatments will I need?
- Typically a series of 3-6. treatments is recommended, depending upon your area of correction or concern. Your skincare professional will ultimately determine a treatment schedule based on your individual goals and desires. Treatments are usually spaced in 4 week intervals. Patients with deep wrinkles, advanced sun damage, stretch marks, or any type of scars, usually require 6 or more treatments to achieve the desired results.
How long will it take for me to see results?
- Most all patients see results after the first . treatment. Individual results vary depending on individual skin health. It is most common to begin to see true changes or positive results as soon as 1-2 weeks after the first treatment. Many patients comment on positive changes in even less time. (Often change is noted within just a few days)
How long will my results last?
- produces results through the stimulation of growth factors and collagen, thereby promoting new skin cells to surface. As our skin ages, our collagen production naturally slows down. Your overall result will last longer when using an at home skin care regimen that includes a daily Retinoid product. Your medical provider is best suited to make this recommendation. New collagen & elastin formation in the skin are documented as visually and measurably improved as much as one year after just one treatment. However, a series of treatments is typically recommended for best results.
Will the treatment hurt?
- Prior to your treatment, your medical provider will apply a topical numbing agent. Most people say they feel almost nothing after having been pretreated with a topical numbing agent. Others have rated the pain as a 2 on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the highest level of pain.
How will I look after my treatment?
- Micro needling is considered a no downtime treatment. Immediately after your treatment your skin will look slightly pink to moderately red. Depending on your skin’s sensitivity your redness can last for another 24 hours. Your medical provider will recommend skin care products for your post care based on your individual skin, which will greatly minimize these symptoms and enhance your overall results.
Can I use makeup after my treatment?
- Directly after your treatment we recommend using only mineral based foundation, as it cannot build bacteria. You may go back to your regular foundation 4 days post treatment.